Be sure to read "Returning to Vana'diel" - our guide of changes to the game!
Already returned? Welcome back! Check out "Quickstart 1-119" - for a complete journey from level 1 to 119!
Areas • Missions • Quests • Coalitions • Assignments • Reive
Skirmish • Delve • Incursion • Vagary • Sinister Reign • Apex
Areas • Missions • Escha • Domain Invasion • Geas Fete • Omen
Ambuscade • Dynamis Divergence • Unity • A.M.A.N. Trove • High-Tier Mission Battlefields • Master Trials • Monstrosity
|Guides • Trust Magic • Mog Garden • Monster Rearing • Job Points • Crafting||November Update Items|
| Ultimate Weapons • Ultimate Augments|
How to Enter
Entrance to Abyssea is granted to players possessing traverser stones. Traverser stones can be acquired from Joachim in Port Jeuno (H-8) after starting the quest Dawn of Death. Additionally, Abyssea NPCs that can give traverser stones are stationed in Port Bastok, Port San d'Oria, Port Windurst, Heavens Tower, and Ru'Lude Gardens.
Initially players will be able to hold 3 traverser stones, each abyssite of avarice that you obtain will allow you to hold one extra stone for a total of 6 stones.
Initially each stone will grant a player 30 minutes in Abyssea, each abyssite of sojourn that you obtain will increase that duration by 3 minutes up to 18 extra minutes.
Initially traverser stones will replenish every 20 hours, each abyssite of celerity that you obtain will reduce that time by 4 hours down to an 8 hour recharge per stone.
Time in Abyssea can be extended by high-level Blue Sturdy Pyxides which will provide 10 minutes per box unlocked.
|Vision of Abyssea||Scars of Abyssea||Heroes of Abyssea|
|Abyssea - Konschtat||Konschtat Highlands (I-12)||Abyssea - Attohwa||Buburimu Peninsula (F-7)||Abyssea - Altepa||South Gustaberg (J-10)|
|Abyssea - La Theine||La Theine Plateau (E-4)||Abyssea - Misareaux||Valkurm Dunes (I-9)||Abyssea - Uleguerand||Xarcabard (H-8)|
|Abyssea - Tahrongi||Tahrongi Canyon (H-12)||Abyssea - Vunkerl||Jugner Forest (J-8)||Abyssea - Grauberg||North Gustaberg (G-7) (North-east corner)|
|Abyssea - Empyreal Paradox||Qufim Island (F-7)|
When a monster is defeated or a Red Sturdy Pyxis is opened, a player may receive a message about his or her body is aglow with a certain light. Each light has a different effect as listed below. Certain monsters cannot yield certain color lights, and certain monsters ("Ephemeral" monsters) can randomly yield significantly higher values of a specific color of light (2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x). NMs yield lights in higher quantities than normal monsters, typically double. Note that if a monster can yield ruby, azure, or amber light, and the proper final blow is dealt, the light is guaranteed. However, even if a monster can yield pearlescent light and is killed with a melee attack or one of the other pearlescent final blows, pearlescent light is NOT guaranteed unless the monster was a notorious monster.
|Light Type||Effect||Cap||How to Acquire|
|Pearlescent Light||Increases the frequency of all chests.||230||Red Sturdy Pyxis effect or defeat a mob with a melee hit, job ability, a Summoner's Avatar, or a DoT effect.|
|Azure Light||Increases the frequency and potency of of Blue Sturdy Pyxides.||255||Red Sturdy Pyxis effect or defeat a mob with magic.|
|Ruby Light||Increases the frequency and potency of of Red Sturdy Pyxides.||255||Red Sturdy Pyxis effect or defeat a mob with a melee weapon skill.|
|Amber Light||Increases the frequency and potency of of Gold Sturdy Pyxides.||255||Red Sturdy Pyxis effect or defeat a mob with a magical weapon skill.|
|Golden Light||Increases the amount of Experience Points that you receive from defeated mobs.||200||Higher potency Red Sturdy Pyxis effect.|
|Silvery Light||Increases the amount of Cruor that you receive from defeated mobs.||200||Higher potency Red Sturdy Pyxis effect.|
|Ebon Light||According to official channels, Ebon Lights increase the potency of all lights, but the exact effect is still unknown.||200||Higher potency Red Sturdy Pyxis effect, and defeating Notorious Monsters.|
Not every mob will give every light. For more details, see the Abyssea Lights page.
Monthly Adventurer Campaigns
There is one type of campaign that may run any given month. It offers multiple bonuses as detailed below.
Abyssea Battle Content Campaign
Multiple campaigns are included in the Abyssea campaign when it is active.
- During the first campaign, all six bonuses below were available.
- For Abyssea campaigns after the initial, we only saw Gifts 2, 3, 4 and 6.
- Furthermore, those who have received these rewards previously are unable to do so again. The only benefit to future campaign repeats is Gift 6 below, which is still significant.
- A blue treasure chest will appear near Horst in Port Jeuno at (H-8). Opening it for the first time will confer the benefits of Gift 2, 4, and 5 below.
- For Abyssea campaigns after the initial, we only saw Gifts 2, 3, 4 and 6.
[Gift 1] All Three Abyssea Battle Scenario Add-ons
- When this Monthly Adventurer Campaign was active, all adventurers could register the three Abyssea battle addons free of charge.
- See the official website for further details.
- Note: This portion of the Abyssea campaign was only available during the 11th Vana'versary Celebration from August 8th, 2013 until October 11th, 2013.
[Gift 2] Eleven Different Atma
- Open the above mentioned chest to obtain the eleven Atmas below:
- Atma of the Stout Arm - STR+: Major / Attack+: Superior / Ranged Attack+: Major
- Atma of Allure - MP+: Superior / MND+: Major / Enmity-: Major
- Atma of the Voracious Violet - STR+: Superior / "Double Attack"+: Major / "Regain": Major
- Atma of the Stormbird - Wind Accuracy+: Major / Lightning Accuracy+: Major / "Refresh": Minor
- Atma of the Gnarled Horn - AGI+: Superior / Critical Hit Rate: Minor / Counter+: Minor
- Atma of the Razed Ruins - DEX+: Superior / Critical Hit Rate: Major / Critical Hit Damage: Major
- Atma of the Sanguine Scythe - HP+: Major / Critical Hit Damage: Major / Enmity+: Minor
- Atma of the Minikin Monstrosity - INT+: Superior / "Refresh": Major / Enmity-: Minor
- Atma of the Omnipotent - DEX+: Superior / Haste+: Superior / Enmity+: Minor
- Atma of the Stronghold - Attack+: Major / Defense+: Major / "Regen": Major
- Atma of the Merciless Matriarch - Magic Accuracy+: Superior / "Fast Cast"+: Superior (Same elemental magic as the weather) Enmity-: Superior
[Gift 3] One Lunar abyssite
- Open the above mentioned chest to obtain a Lunar abyssite.
[Gift 4] 100,000 Cruor
- Open the above mentioned chest to obtain 100,000 Cruor.
[Gift 5] Ability to hold six Traverser stones
- All characters can hold six Traverser stones at once during the campaign.
[Gift 6] Default light increase
- When entering an Abyssea area during the campaign, the default values for pearlescent, azure, golden, and silvery lights are set to 100.
- See Sturdy Pyxis for more details.
|Blue Sturdy Pyxis||Red Sturdy Pyxis||Gold Sturdy Pyxis|
- It is possible to destroy a Sturdy Pyxis for Cruor proportional to the chest level. You receive from 10 Cruor for the lowest strength chest to 50 Cruor for the highest strength chests.
- A Journey Begins
- The Truth Beckons
- The Forbidden Frontier
- Scars of Abyssea (Quest)
- First Contact
- An Officer and a Pirate
- Heart of Madness
- Tenuous Existence
- Champions of Abyssea
- Heroes of Abyssea (Quest)
- A Sea Dog's Summons
- Death and Rebirth
- Emissaries of God
- Beneath a Blood-red Sky
- The Wyrm God
- Meanwhile, Back on Abyssea
- A Moonlight Requite
Bolded above are the Abyssea zone quests that are also mission objectives.
One of the important features of Notorious Monsters in Abyssea is the ability to stagger them with certain types of attacks. When you stagger a monster, it prevents it from performing certain actions or doing anything at all for a short period of time.
When a monster is staggered, there will be a message displayed in the chat log, along with two large exclamation points that will appear over the mob. The color of the exclamation points will represent the type of effect that was triggered, and have benefits beyond stopping the mob from performing certain actions.
Staggering a monster more than once with the same type of weakness is not recommended- the method will become less effective with each successive use (stagger duration will decrease and influence on drops will be reduced) and can eventually cause the monster to go into Raged mode.
A pair of yellow exclamation points means that a spell has staggered the monster. The immediate effect on the monster is that the it will be unable to cast spells for a short period of time. The elements of the spell that can cause this effect are determined by the day of the week that the monster was either claimed (for free roaming NMs) or was spawned (for forced popped NMs); specific spells representing the element of the day of the week, the day before, and the day after can cause the effect (at any given time there are 21 potential spells). The spells on the following list are the only spells that will trigger the yellow effect, and are ordered by the days of the Vana'diel week.
|Firesday||Fire III||Fire IV||Firaga III||Flare||Katon: Ni||Ice Threnody||Heat Breath|
|Earthsday||Stone III||Stone IV||Stonega III||Quake||Doton: Ni||Lightning Threnody||Magnetite Cloud|
|Watersday||Water III||Water IV||Waterga III||Flood||Suiton: Ni||Fire Threnody||Maelstrom|
|Windsday||Aero III||Aero IV||Aeroga III||Tornado||Huton: Ni||Earth Threnody||Mysterious Light|
|Iceday||Blizzard III||Blizzard IV||Blizzaga III||Freeze||Hyoton: Ni||Wind Threnody||Ice Break|
|Lightningday||Thunder III||Thunder IV||Thundaga III||Burst||Raiton: Ni||Water Threnody||Mind Blast|
|Lightsday||Banish II||Banish III||Banishga II||Holy||Flash||Dark Threnody||Radiant Breath|
|Darksday||Drain||Aspir||Dispel||Bio II||Kurayami: Ni||Light Threnody||Eyes On Me|
The additional effect of triggering the Yellow !! is that monsters will drop more upgrade items for Empyrean Armor as well as more potential crafting materials or spell scrolls from monsters which do not drop Empyrean Armor upgrade items.
A pair of blue exclamation points means that a physical weapon skill has staggered the monster. The immediate effect on the monster is that the it will be unable to use TP moves for a short period of time. The time of day that a monster was claimed or force-spawned will determine which types of weapon skill can stagger the monster- from 6:00 to 14:00 for piercing weapons, from 14:00 to 22:00 for slashing, and from 22:00 to 6:00 for blunt. The following weapon skills are the only weapon skills that will trigger the blue effect.
The additional effect of triggering Blue !! is that monsters have a greater chance of dropping their rare loot.
A pair of red exclamation points means that an elemental weapon skill has staggered the monster. The immediate effect on the monster is that the it will be will be completely stopped and unable to perform any actions for a short period of time. The element or type of elemental weapon skill that triggers the Red !! is random. The following weapon skills are the only weapon skills that can trigger the red effect.
The additional effect of triggering Red !! is that monsters are guaranteed to bestow their Atma, if they have one, to all of the members in the alliance provided that the person who triggered the effect is still in the alliance and in the zone, as well as guarantee the receipt of a key item used to pop further Notorious Monsters, if the monster can drop one, to the person who claimed or force-popped the monster.
When a player is in possession of Abyssite of discernment, he/she will receive messages to help to find out what will trigger the various stagger effects after performing similar actions. The player may receive a message depending on the action: casting magic on the mob may give a message about the element of the yellow stagger, using an elemental weapon skill may give a message about the element of the red stagger, and using a physical weapon skill may give a message about the type of weapon for the blue stagger.
Colored Abyssite and Atma
See Abyssea Abyssite category for more details.
See Abyssea Atma category for more details.
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category "Abyssea"
The following 25 pages are in this category, out of 25 total.