Are you considering returning to Final Fantasy XI? Be sure to read "Returning to Vana'diel" - our community collaborative guide!
Have you already returned? Welcome back, and be sure to read "Quickstart 1-119" - our guide for a complete journey from level 1 to 119!
Areas · Missions · Quests · Coalitions · Assignments
Reive · Skirmish · Delve · Incursion · Vagary · Sinister Reign
Areas · Missions · Escha · Omen
|October Update Items|
|Mog Garden · Monster Rearing · Monstrosity · Trust Magic · Unity · Ambuscade · Hard Mode Mission Battles · Master Trials||October Login Campaign|
Category:Trial of the Magians
A group of sagely Moogles presents players with an offer to gain powerful new weapons and armor.
- You may only have ten active trials at one time. You must either complete or abandon a trial should you wish to do more.
- You may only have one Trial Insignia on any one item at a time.
- You may have more than one copy of an item at a time (as long as it is not an exclusive item), but you cannot undertake the same trial on two items at the same time.
- You may repeat the same trial after completing it as many times as you like.
- It is not possible to have two rare items with the same name, even if they have with different Item IDs, but you can have identical exclusive items. (ex: 2 Shamshir with PDT-10%)
- You may choose to abandon the trial from the Magian Moogle. It will not affect the weapon or the augments on it. You can redo the same trial, select a different trial, or do nothing with the weapon.
- Should you abandon a trial, all progress on that trial will be lost, and you will start over from 0 objectives should you restart that trial on the item.
- After abandoning a trial, you must trade the weapon to the Magian Moogle to have the Trial Insignia removed from it before you are able to undertake any trials with that item.
- Dropping an item will not abandon the trial, you must do so with the Magian Moogle.
- Storing an item with a Porter Moogle will delete the Trial Insignia and all progress on a trial. You will have to abandon the trial with the Magian Moogle to restart a trial.
- You can check the progress of all of your trials in any field or dungeon area after you obtain Magian Spectacles from the Magian Moogle for 500 gil.
- Magian Spectacles can also give a zone's three-day weather report. (The current and next two Vana'diel days.)
When you take up a Magian Trial, you must perform a specific task a certain number of times in order to complete it.
- To start a trial, trade your item to the proper Magian Moogle to obtain the proper Trial Insignia You will not receive credit for your trial if you do not have the proper Trial Insignia on your item.
- Each trial has specific conditions that must be met before it can be completed and falls into one of the general categories below.
- Defeat a number of Notorious Monsters with the item equipped.
- Trade in a number of an item to the Delivery Crate in Ru'Lude Gardens (H-5) unless otherwise noted. When trading the requested item(s) to the Delivery Crate, you must also trade the item that you are upgrading for the Trial. Any items traded to the Delivery Crate that are in excess of the requirement to complete the trial will be returned to you.
- Proc a weapon's added effect upon a type or family of monsters that yield experience a specific number of times.
- Defeat a quantity of a type or family of monsters that yield experience points with the item equipped. Further restrictions may apply:
- Defeat a quantity of a type or family of monsters that yield experience points in a specific weather type and/or on a specific day of the Vana'diel week.
- Defeat a quantity of a type or family of monsters that yield experience points in one of several weather conditions.
- Monsters killed during the appropriate weather are worth 5 kills, monsters killed on the appropriate day are worth 1 kill, monsters killed during the appropriate day and weather are worth 6 kills.
- Scholar's Storm spells do not count for weather trials, only the weather inherent in the zone will give credit.
- The weather or day must be present when the monster dies, should the weather or day change while you are fighting the mob, you will not get credit if you slay it. This can be used to your advantage if you can hold several enemies at low health while waiting for the correct weather to appear.
- For these trials, it is often beneficial to check the weather in advance and make sure that the season is correct for the weather that you want.
- Defeat a quantity of a type or family of monsters that yield experience points with a specific elemental damage.
- The elemental damage must be equal to or greater than the number specified by the Moogle. (50 damage, 150 damage, 250 damage, etc.)
- The elemental damage does not have to be generated from a spell or by the person who is doing the trial. Monsters killed with elemental weaponskills or elemental blood pact damage will give credit for the trial.
- Have your pet defeat a quantity of a type of family of monsters.
- Monsters killed by your Adventuring Fellow or other people's pet will count towards these trials.
- Monsters that are passively killed (DoT such as poison, countered attack, killed with a skillchain, monster weaponskills like Self-Destruct or Final Sting) will not count even if that is caused by your pet.
- For trials that specify an Avatar; another party member's Avatar kills will count if it is of the correct type, but you must also have the avatar summoned to receive credit.
- Defeat a quantity of a type of family of monsters while it is under the effect of an enfeeble of a specific element.
- The enfeebling effect can be applied by any party member, not just the person doing to trial.
- Gain a set quantity of experience points in a particular area or areas.
- If more than one piece of equipment is equipped whose conditions are fulfilled in a certain area, the experience will be split evenly between the pieces.
- You will not receive credit for trials that involve killing monsters if the monster is defeated while you are out of experience points range or if you are K.O.ed.
- You will not receive credit for a kill if it is unclaimed and dies passively (DoT, self-destruct-type weaponskill) or if it is under Call for Help status; however, you will receive credit for AoE kills of unclaimed monsters.
- Weapons that are dual wielded in the off-hand will still receive credit for kills.
- You can receive credit for main hand and off-hand weapons simultaneously provided that you fulfill the conditions of both.
- You will receive credit for monsters killed with Level Sync status if the objectives are met. Some trials are much faster to do in a starter area while level synced to 12-13 since the monsters in starter areas have comparatively low HP.
- You will receive the same amount of credit in a party or alliance that you would solo so long as the objective is met for your trial. You do not have to take an action on the monster to receive credit.
- Maze Lurkers that appear from Moblin Maze Mongers will give credit if they fulfill the trial's objective.
- You will receive updates in the chat long on the progress of the trial as you gain credit. This can also be checked by using Magian Spectacles. You will be instructed to return to the Magian Moogle when the trial is complete.
- Once a trial has been completed, trade the item to the Magian Moogle to receive the upgraded or augmented item trial reward.
For each equipment slot, the base Empyrean armor component is obtained in a different location and by a different method. Empyrean heads, legs, and feet are obtained in Scars of Abyssea zones: Abyssea - Attohwa, Abyssea - Misareaux, and Abyssea - Vunkerl. Empyrean hands and bodies are obtained in Heroes of Abyssea zones: Abyssea - Altepa, Abyssea - Uleguerand, Abyssea - Grauberg.
- Unlike Weapon Trials, to begin Armor Trials you must trade the desired armor to the Magian Moogle with the blue poof ball.
- Since Empyrean Armor trials are only trade quests, you are able to upgrade armors even if you are unable to equip them.
- To complete the trial, trade the requested items and the item to be upgraded to the Delivery Crate at Ru'Lude Gardens (H-5).
- You can trade all of the requested upgrade items at one time.
- You may obtain seals and upgrade items before you have the trial active, which is a good strategy since players are limited to 10 active trials at a time.
Obtaining Empyrean Upgrade Items
Relic Armor and Relic Armor +1 can both be upgraded to Relic Armor +2 using Trial of the Magians by turning in the 50 or 30 of the correct "Forgotten" items, respectively. They can then be further upgraded and augmented by gaining 20,000 Experience Points with the +2 piece equipped in the zones where the associated NQ AF drops. Be aware that trying to complete two Experience Points trials at once in Dynamis - Tavnazia will split your Experience Points between the two pieces you are wearing. So if you got 100EXP from a monster, each piece would get 50.
Job Emote Trials
Please see the Job Emotes page for more information.
This category has the following 28 subcategories, out of 28 total.
Pages in category "Trial of the Magians"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 4,306 total.(previous 200) (next 200)