Considering returning to Final Fantasy XI? Be sure to read "Returning to Vana'diel" - our community collaborative guide!
Already returned? Welcome back! Be sure to read "Quickstart 1-119" - our guide for a complete journey from level 1 to 119!
Areas · Missions · Quests · Coalitions · Assignments
Reive · Skirmish · Delve · Incursion · Vagary · Sinister Reign
Areas · Missions · Escha · Domain Invasion · Geas Fete · Omen
Ambuscade · Dynamis Divergence · Unity · High-Tier Mission Battlefields · Master Trials · Monstrosity
|Trust Magic · Mog Garden · Monster Rearing · Job Points · Crafting · Guides||November Update Items|
| Ultimate Weapons|
|Staging Point:||Ilrusi Atoll|
|Start NPC:||Bhoy Yhupplo in Aht Urhgan Whitegate (L-9/L-10)|
|Objective:||Famous biologist Professor Clavauert is researching apkallu on Ilrusi Atoll. The more discoveries he makes in Aht Urhgan, the more likely he is to join the Empire. Assist him by capturing apkallu.|
|Mission Orders:||Capture the apkallu|
|Time Limit:||30 minutes||Recommended Lv.||Lvl. 70|
|Easy Prey||Kelp Pugil||Ilrusi Atoll||Sound||Yes||None|
- Kelp Pugil are very weak and can be killed solo or duo with ease.
- Kelp Pugil do not respawn.
In order to herd a Fairy Apkallu, a complicated courting process must be followed:
- First, obtain a Hamsi by finding and clicking on one of the many ??? that are scattered about the map.
- Once you have a delicious fish, find a passive Fairy Apkallu. Stand in front of it at a medium-short distance, close enough to select the target.
- The Apkallu will stop and stare at you, and you will receive the message "The Fairy Apkallu is staring at you"
- /bow to the Apkallu. One of two things will happen:
- "The Fairy Apkallu is wary of your presence"; repeat the process again.
- "The Fairy Apkallu seems curious about you"; repeat the process again.
- If you receive the message that the Apkallu "let down it's guard", immediately use the /welcome motion.
- If the Apkallu says it likes you, you then have one second to click on it to give it the Hamsi.
If done successfully, you will get the message "You successfully capture the Fairy Apkallu!". When this happens, quickly circle directly behind the Apkallu, and stand about 3 Yalms away directly behind the Fairy Apkallu.
- The Fairy Apkallu will slowly waddle towards the Professor. Stay a few yalms directly behind the Fairy Apkallu. If it turns, as it will near the Professor, make sure you adjust to stay directly behind it. Be careful of cliffs; the Apkallu will go straight up while you will need to quickly navigate the cliff.
- If the Fairy Apkallu sees any Kelp Pugil, it will flee. If you are quick, you can immediately recapture it sometimes by running behind it and clicking it again.
- If you leave the "safe zone" behind the Apkallu, it will stop. If you do not return quickly to the position behind the Apkallu, it will run away and the courting process will need to be repeated.
- DO NOT GO INTO FIRST-PERSON MODE! There are two hills next to the start quest NPC that require third-person mode in order to traverse if approaching from the left-hand side (if looking at the NPC). Far better strategy is to just lock on the Apkallu and position your self accordingly and when you have to run around terrain; unlock , run around terrain, re-lock, and reposition.