Are you considering returning to Final Fantasy XI? Be sure to read "Returning to Vana'diel" - our community collaborative guide!
Areas · Missions · Quests · Coalitions · Assignments
Reive · Skirmish · Delve · Incursion · Vagary · Sinister Reign
Areas · Missions · Escha · Omen
|July Update Items|
|Mog Garden · Monster Rearing · Monstrosity · Trust Magic · Unity · Ambuscade · Hard Mode Mission Battles · Master Trials||July Login Campaign|
When a physical attack is successfully blocked by a Shield, the damage taken from the attack is significantly reduced.
Shield skill is a combat skill that determines a player's ability to activate an equipped shield to block an incoming physical attack. Shields can block any physical attacks coming from the front of the player, and the player does not need to be engaged to an enemy to block an attack. The amount of damage reduction from a successful shield block is based on the shield size and its DEF rating. The block rate is determined by the attacking enemy's level, shield size, and shield skill (the greater a player's shield skill, the greater the probability the attack will be blocked by a shield proc). Larger shields block less frequently, but for more damage, and vice versa. The only exceptions to this are for Ochain and Aegis which both block frequently and for significant damage reductions (Aegis is size 5 but has a block rate between a size 2 and 3 shield and Ochain is size 6 and has a block rate significantly greater than a size 1 shield).
While all jobs can equip certain shields and several jobs have innate shield skill (see below), Paladins are the shield masters with the widest and most powerful variety of equippable shields, as well as several job traits and abilities to enhance shield utilization.
- The hard cap on shield block rate is 65%. Ochain has a large block rate bonus and is not susceptible to this cap (block rate can reach 100% with sufficient shield skill).
- Generally, shield skill increases block rate by approximately 1% when adding 4 skill below 400 or 5 skill above 400.
- Shield size is not a visible game statistic but is programmed into the game to each individual shield and can be seen on the individual wiki pages for each shield.
- The job trait Shield Mastery prevents the casting of spells from being interrupted by a physical attack if all hits while casting are successfully blocked and allows successful blocks to generate additional TP return for the player.
- The job trait Shield Defense Bonus increases the damage reduction capability of all shields.
- The spell Reprisal temporarily increases the shield block rate.
Shield Skill Caps
|Job||Grade||Level 49||Level 99|