Blue Magic is a general magic category available only to Blue Mages. All blue magic spells are enemy abilities that must be learned as a spell by engaging and defeating enemies after the learnable ability is performed. This process must be repeated until the spell is learned.
Each spell has a minimum Blue Magic Skill requirement before it may be learned. This amount is detonated on each spell page, and may be reached via natural skill, Merits, and equipment.
Blue Magic skill determines the spell interruption rate of blue magic spells. Skill is also directly involved in the damage calculation for physical blue magic spells.
The accuracy of magical blue magic spells and additional effects of spells is also based on blue magic skill. While the accuracy of physical blue magic spells is instead based on the weapon accuracy of the mainhand weapon as well as a player's DEX and Accuracy.
Furthermore, blue magic skill also determines the potency determination for magical blue magic spells.
Blue Magic Skill caps by job
Blue Magic Spells
Learning Blue Magic
- Blue Magic spells must be learned by engaging enemies until the learnable ability is performed and then defeating them.
- This includes NMs and "Too Weak" monsters which do not yield EXP. This must be repeated until the spell is learned (notification will occur at the end of the battle).
- You may learn the spell from the correct monster at any level range. Not just ones around the level of the spell. There is no maximum level or anything.
- The blue mage does not need to be the target of the enemy's ability for it to be learned.
- Spells only need to be readied in order to be learned. The mob may be defeated or stunned and the spell may still be learned without going off.
- Blue Magic spells are learnable based on skill level. Spells may be learned 31 skill levels before the skill cap of blue skill for the level of the spell.
- Merits as well as wearing equipment with Blue Magic Skill + on it qualifies as increasing your skill level. Allowing for a spell to be learned with a lack of natural skill.
- E.g. Magic Fruit is a level 58. Blue Magic skill caps at 193 at level 58. This means the Blue Mage must have at least 162 Blue Magic skill (obtainable at level 52+) in order to learn Magic Fruit.
- If the Blue Mage had a skill of only 147, but equipped a Magus Jubbah this would bring them to 162 and allow for Magic Fruit to be learned.
- Monsters will use TP randomly until being reduced to ≤50% in which case they will then use their TP upon reaching 2,000. After reaching ≤25% HP a monster will use their TP immediately upon reaching 1,000.
- Dia may be used to feed a monster 83.3 TP as long as it deals 1+ damage.
- Multi-hit blue magic spells such as Bludgeon inflict TP (100 TP) per each hit landed, making them good choices for building an enemy's TP reserve.
Situations Where Spells May Not Be Learned
- While a player is KOed.
- Call for help prevents the learning of spells.
- During Campaign battles.
- Campaign monsters may grant spells to a member outside of active campaigns if the member does not have tags on to participate and the monster is defeated before a battle starts.
- During Walk of Echoes Battlefields.
- A player, their party member, or their alliance member must defeat the monster in Besieged in order to learn a spell, otherwise it can not be learned.
- During Reives, with the exception of Wildskeeper Reives in which case players not KOed at the conclusion may learn a spell regardless of who lands the killing blow.
Setting Blue Magic
- Unlike other types of magic, Blue Magic spells are not immediately usable at their associated level. They must first be "set."
- Blue magic spells can be set at any time; however, no blue magic spells can be cast for one minute after changing the set spells.
- Every blue magic spell has a certain number of "blue magic points" associated with it, as listed on the spell description. The sum of blue magic points of all set spells must be at or below the number of blue magic points available.
- The number of blue magic points available to a BLU starts at 10 from levels 1-10, and increases with level, by 5 every 10 levels (15 from 11-20, 20 from 21-30, up to 55 from 91-99).
- The number of available points can be increased by up to five additional with merits in the job trait Assimilation.
- The number may be even further increased by +20 to a total of 80 points via Job Points.
- The maximum number of spells that can be set by a BLU is also determined by level, starting at 6 from levels 1-10, increasing by 2 every 10 levels and capping at 20.
- Setting certain combinations of spells can yield unique Job Traits that are otherwise unavailable to BLU, such as Auto Refresh, Dual Wield, and Double Attack.
- Blue magic bonuses on equipment fall into several categories:
- Blue magic skill bonuses: Directly adds to the player's blue magic skill (see table below)
- Blue magic casting time reduction: Reduces casting time of all spells classified as blue magic by the percentage listed, stacks with Fast Cast.
- Blue magic recast time reduction: Reduces recast time of all spells classified as blue magic by the percentage listed, stacks with other forms of recast time reduction such as Haste and Fast Cast.
- Blue magic learning chance: Increases the chance to learn blue magic from a battle where blue magic can be learned.
Pages in category "Blue Magic"
The following 198 pages are in this category, out of 198 total.